As I write this, the snow seems to have stopped and the wind has increased. Why I say "seems" is that the wind is blowing the snow around so that it appears to be snowing. But as visibility is much better than it was earlier, my guess is that the frozen precipitation is done, for now.
So far it's been rather a colder winter than I'm used to in these parts, though very similar to where I grew up. In truth, it's warmer than where I grew up as it's been in the 20s for the better part of a fortnight, though the last few days it has hovered close to, but not below, zero. (That's Fahrenheit, I don't buy into that French Revolutionary metric nonsense. And it truly is nonsense in my book.)
![]() |
| The tree in the southeastern corner of the backyard in summer. |
![]() |
| The same tree on Thursday. |
When the feline staff came to awaken me at 0930 (for the math-challenged, that would be two hours later than when I first arose) I could hear the wind howling and looking outside I half expected to see polar bears frolicking in the street.
![]() |
| Nope, no polar bears, just snow. |
Before ye begin to disparage and berate the "Papists" think on this, in those days the English were very keen to eradicate Catholicism from England. Torture, beheading, drawing and quartering, hanging, burning were all used to suppress the Catholic Church in England. (At the same time in Catholic Spain, the same was being done to Protestants and Jews. Religion can be a very dicey proposition in the wrong hands. For "the wrong hands" read "The State." Our Founding Fathers had good reason to include the Separation Clause in the Constitution. And no, it was not meant to be used by atheists who don't like manger scenes or menorahs on public property.)
Anyhoo, the program drags a bit at times but so far (aside from the usual tendency to "jazz up" a perfectly good historical tale) seems fairly historical. Though I do need to read up on this period in English history again as I'm a bit rusty on that time. (Though I do know a couple of things about the period, such as "Penny for the Guy?")
And yes, King James I (who had also been King James VI of Scotland until the Union of 24 March 1603) is known mostly to we in the West as the chap who sponsored the King James Version of the Bible. Thought you'd like to know that.
Speaking of religion...
One fellow I've been reading a lot of lately is David Warren, who had this most interesting offering on the 30th of December. I've been digging through his archives and I will say this, the chap writes very well. Psst, don't tell my fellow Baptists that I've been reading a lot of "Catholic stuff" lately.
Anyhoo. Winter is here, for a bit. We're expecting temperatures in the 40s next week.
In other news, The Nuke is now a homeowner. (Now all of the progeny own homes. Wow.) She also told me that the Potomac, 'round about the 14th Street bridges, is frozen. With snow on top.
Egads.
![]() |
| Looking east from the ramparts at Chez Sarge. |
![]() |
| The Christmas cactus in early December. |
![]() |
| What a difference a month makes. |
![]() |
| 'Twas an excellent day for Zuppa Toscana... |
![]() |
| ...and a superb day to stay inside. |
And yes, I am working on the next installment of Panzer 413. Just so you know.










0 Yorumlar