Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Killing Miss Penny Dreadful....

It happened so gradually I didn't see it coming. But as I ran around City hall for Newstalk in flat boots and a fairtrade T-shirt, I realised, I had successfully killed Miss Penny Dreadful.

Don't get me wrong, she will always be a part of me. I owe her a lot. But I've realised that the romantic notions of fashion I engaged in while starting this blog two years ago, are gone.
I would totter to college on six inch heels, spending all day ignoring the blistering pain and pools of blood, I once wore gold metallic leggings, a body con dress and six inch heeled ankle boots to a presentation - returning home fifteen minutes later when I realised I couldn't walk.
I wore hats with feathers, veils, glittery tuxedos...I never met a sequin I didn't love.
But as I am getting older and getting more set in my ways I've realised it doesn't feel the same.
While my dress sense is far from normal still, I am wearing it down instead of dressing up. I've great time for the maxi skirts, my topshop black mens blazer is the best thing I've ever bought and as I culled my wardrobe with a fierce and judging eye I realised I had put all my glitter to one side and brought only basics.
I can't remember the last time I wore heels either. If only because the Mashion years (mashion = mad fashion) have left me with bunions and deformed hooves instead of the dainty toes I should have. I prefer to spend my days lounging in biker boots. In fact gifted with a €200 euro voucher recently, I did the craziest thing ever - I bought flat suede ankle boots.
See the thing is, as insane as I looked and as pretty as I was in neons and lace : I look better now. More settled and down to earth instead of looking like someone who has spent the last five years chewing Es in a dodgy nightclub.


There are two reasons for this.


Reason one : Age. It is no long appropriate for me be hanging out all over the shop in neons, lace and bunny ears. I'm 25 and looking for my first serious journalism position post college. Turning up for a days work in orange lipstick doesn't cut it. I want to be taken seriously. I want to look stylish but smart. I don't want to have office girls laughing at my (this season) color pop outfit. Working in fashion means that black is always acceptable. In fact, it's encouraged. Looking through this seasons latest trends, I find I am loving Jil Sander's collection for the simple but easy way she presents the color pop. It's still youthful (i am only 25 for god sake!) however it has such a simplistic edge to it. Most of the colorful maxi skirts are teamed with a simple white T-shirt! It seems impossible that just a year ago I would have laughed at my lust for the basic white shirt. Preferring to pick something Boy George would have cast off.


Reason two : Movement. Too many times have I returned home from college covered in cuts, blisters, bruises and in one memorable occasion - burn marks caused by badly made and insane clothing. When a fight broke out at the GE count center caused by protestors I ran up two flights of stairs and across a hallway to grab a camera from our pressbox. I made it back down before the police broke it up and got the shots I wanted. Which I could not have done in heels. In fact, for this reason I wore flats to my very first front row this month. I couldn't bear it. I just needed to give my aching feet a rest. Not to mention I now live further away and walking in heels for half an hour just doesn't cut it with me anymore.
There is an issue of safety too. I recently read a Glamour article where they spoke of the dangers women place themselves in unwittingly. One of these was wearing heels on the walk home. We've all done it. But it renders us unable to run from possible danger and makes us more of a target. Nothing screams victim like the drunk girl in high shoes who can barely walk making her way home late at night. Take. them. off. and. bring. flats. in. your. bag. Trust me, no one need know. (or better yet get your boyfriend to carry you)
I'm learning since I take roughly about 6-7 buses a week and only carry what fits in my bag that all I need are the basics. I've looked amazing in plain grey T-shirts and jeans instead of dressed to the hilt. In fact two girls at a front row told me my outfit caught their eye because of my trademark red lipstick. A basic essential (and the most exciting part of my outfit.)

So as my sequinned tux sits in the back of my wardrobe gathering dust and shooting my plain blazers jealous daggers, I welcome this new phase in my life. If only because it means more shopping!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar